Monday, May 30, 2011

Sixth Annual Blogfest

This year, I actually made it to Blogfest instead of just thinking about it. It was at the Bell House- a cool venue that I'd never been to before, and I assume that a little of the coolness rubbed off on me. The founder of Blogfest is Louise Crawford, the author of Only the Blog Knows Brooklyn, who has kindly run features on two shows of mine : "Did You Hear the One About the Carp Who Hailed a Taxi?" at 440 Gallery and "Brooklyn Lighthouse" at Open Source Gallery.
It only lasted about an hour and a half, but there was a heated disagreement about whether or not blogs should accept advertising. I obviously have no problem with advertising, but there were adults bickering behind me- "Shut up!" "No, you shut up!" "You can't be pure and accept advertising!"
The keynote speaker was Jeff Jarvis, a former editor and journalist who teaches at CUNY's Graduate School of Journalism. Very interesting guy. I also saw Kevin Walsh, who devotes so much time to one of my favorite blogs, Forgotten New York.
There's a link to the Brooklyn Eagle feature about the evening above.

No comments: