Thursday, January 19, 2012

Other Desert Cities


Last night, I saw Other Desert Cities by Jon Robin Baitz. I have liked his work for years- I still think about Three Hotels. This production came from Lincoln Center, though Rachel Griffiths, Judith Light and Justin Kirk are all new to it. How great to see that group of actors together onstage- there are no weak links. Though we were in the balcony, there was one of Keach's exits that made us jump. Stockard Channing was chilling in a way I had not seen her before. Just watching these people work was a treatment. And it's an interesting play, though I don't agree with Ben Brantley's assessment that it's the best adult play in years. I thought that the second act was overwritten, and it might be much better served by being an intermissionless, 90 minute piece. I thought the writing got repetitive before the big reveal near the end (my lips are sealed). I loved that John Lee Beatty set- perfect for that family's living room, and a great playground for the actors.

No comments: