Saturday, April 23, 2011

Der Kommissar


My friends Monika Wuhrer and her husband Gary Baldwin run the Open Source Gallery. I've had two plays produced there (I am working on a third, but more on that later). The gallery and their house were badly damaged in the enormous fire on Fifth Avenue last November. Despite those obstacles, they have opened a new restaurant (Der Kommissar) on Fifth Avenue between 15th and 16th Streets. It is influenced by the wurst stands of Vienna, and serves mainly sausages and sides. My first Vienna wurst stand experience was watching the frankfurter slide out of the rye bread and land on the ground in the Am Hof. I hadn't managed to take one bite.
We like to go to Steinhof in the summer, not only for the food, but because we can bring our dog (the waiters are invariably good to Augie- he always gets a water bowl and lots of petting). But the sausage that we sampled at the soft opening of Der Kommissar last week is at least as good as Steinhof, and much closer to home.
And we're not the only ones who feel that way- there are reviews up on Yelp and Here's Park Slope, to name a few. I'm looking forward to when Der Kommissar adds lunches (just dinners so far), so I can order some weisswurst through their take-out window.
Link to Der Kommissar's website above. And, no, I can't get the song out of my head, either.

No comments: